7.17.2008

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Drew's shoulder Angel

Drew's Shoulder Devil

On this day her shoulder devil won the battle.  We hit up Borders at Windward mall before heading home from a doctor's visit.  When we got there we stopped to look at the magazines.  I told Drew she needed to stay by us or sit in the stroller.  She immediately took off.  When she got behind a barrier of twirly shelf things that only a skinny minny could get through she looked back at me.  Right then I could tell that her angel started talking.  Something like, "Drew don't-"  Then her devil must have kicked her angle in the head because after two seconds of thinking she ran to the cash registers where all the delicious Lindt chocolate truffles are and grabbed one. 
"Drew don't!" 
Then she pulled the two ends of the wrapper.  Right then I was desperately trying to find my way around the maze of all their discount crap that no one buys therefor being marked down.  I lost sight of her and when I found her again she had a huge ball sticking out the side of her cheek.  You can see a little bit of chocolate on her lips but I didn't get my camera out in time to capture her in her crime.  This was her first theft.  My little girl a criminal.  Of course we made her pay and tell aunty she was sorry.  It looked like aunty wanted more than a sorry from us.  We had a talk right after explaining that when we steal it hurts Heavenly Father's feelings and that it's bad to steal.  She seemed to really understand!  After we were done window shopping at the mall we headed back through Borders to our car.  Drew saw aunty again and said sorry, honestly twenty times without a response from her.  While we were talking to Drew after it happened I know aunty could hear.  Kurt and I were discussing the difference between telling a child he/she was bad as opposed to what they did was bad.  I'm not so sure aunty agreed with our views of a child not being bad just choosing the wrong.  Besides aunty I just had to document Drew's first and hopefully only theft!

10 comments:

stef j. said...

ha ha! so perfect! and i love that the aunty would never forgive her ... a 3 yr. old.

good parenting, Reynolds.

Anonymous said...

I love it!!! This blog is a perfect example of why I love reading your blogs! I miss Drew! She is so much fun!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah....and I just HAVE to comment on your amazing family photo shoot! I was just looking at them and was blown away! You are all such models----they turned out absolutely beautiful!

Kim's just sayin' said...

oh goodness, Lili has had a few thefts. It's such an uncomfortable position to be in as a parent, especially with not so understanding aunties around!!! Cute that she was so apologetic!

Stewart Family said...

Oh Man!! Drew is so funny. The other day I was talking to my friend about how kids make us so humble with the things they do or say. That is so strange that the aunty wouldn't forgive Drew. (I love the way you told the story, I forsee the next author or a Twilight series.

The Waldon Family said...

This is the best story ever!! I also agree with Carrie, your family photos are absolutely gorgeous!

Tane and Angela said...

i just had a blog about shopping with ava and i'm glad to see i'm not the only one....after shoping with her once, i think i decided that i'll put the 'girls' day out' shopping activity for another 5 or 10 years..then i'll really enjoy shopping with her=) things mother's go through=) but we love it!

Unknown said...

too funny!!! why did aunty care if you paid for the chocolate...sounds like she was a little stuck up...

Stewart Family said...

love the photo of you and kurt; that work out is really working :o)

Leah Remillet said...

I love reading your blogs! Your stories, your ranting, your wonderful depictions! Probably my favorite blog to read! Oh - little dew-be-dew!!! We sure love you! Noelle I think you nailed it - kids MAKING the wrong choice not BEING the wrong choice! I have been sad tot watch and see adults trashing on kids... reality check to them... who is Heavenly Father closer to?? You guys are great... what a day.
I have so much catching up to do on your blog... I'm so happy it's hear waiting for me!

 
design by suckmylolly.com