12.10.2008

Quarter of a Century Old

I thought I was bad at being late in Hawaii, I find myself being extra slow at things here in Cedar City.  It was my 25th birthday Monday December 8th and I didn't post anything quickly because I didn't take any pictures that day and I still haven't taken any pictures since.  So anywho for my birthday I made myself pancakes the way I like them made from Bisquick, a little raw and gooey in the middle with lots of butter and powdered sugar.  The kids and I played until I took them over to my friends house so I could go to the dentist.  YAY!!  For my birthday they gave me, a toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, chap stick and another appointment for today to get my cavities filled!!  Later that night we picked up some take and bake pizza at Papa Murphy's and took it to our friends house.  Kurt showed me the pizza after it had been baked and he had had the pizza people write HAPPY B-DAY! in in with sausages.  It's funny how excited you get, over a little thing like that.  Then my friend Cheryl surprised me with a cake and after we watched Kung Fu Panda. 

That day as I was waiting in the dentist chair I was thinking, I'm just barely 25 and what am I doing in life?  Do any of you think that occasionally?  Then I think, Oh my gosh!  I'm barely 25 and I have two kids with another on the way.  What was I thinking?  I could be traveling the world right now, could've finished school and started a career, could've gone on a mission, blah blah blah!  Then something reminded me of breakfast that morning.  Drew said the prayer and she said we were thankful for the Spirit.  That's something she started including in her prayers a couple of weeks ago, something we didn't teach her.  But after we said amen Drew exclaimed, 

"Mom!  I felt the spirit!"

"You did?"

"Yeah, That's Jesus!"

It's amazing how much little children surprise you.  I'm really bad and have never taught her that.  I'm really wondering if it was a lesson she had in nursery and if it was, how thankful I am for their lessons.  For those nursery teachers out there, even if you think the kids aren't listening, I'm sure they hear a lot more than you think.  Then my next thought went to something my sister in law said.  She's in the Primary presidency and they take kids from nursery who are going to be in primary next year, and let them come to singing time to get them used to it.  She said that every time they have a picture of Jesus in primary while Drew is there, she'll yell and the top of her lungs, "That's MY Jesus!  That's my Jesus!"  So Drew got to help by holding the picture during one of the songs.

Then I feel guilty for ever thinking I could've done something better, more productive, than bring these children into the world.  So, YES!  I'm now 25, have two kids with another one on the way.  I've had a problem saying that for while now, feeling the non-mormon public eye on me, thinking the opposite of what I've been wanting to feel.  I've finally realized that it's not what I think people are thinking, it's what I've been thinking of myself.  Does that make sense?  I'm so happy I have my little family, that seems to be getting bigger every 19 months.  I have my ultrasound this Friday and I'm SO excited to see... it.  We're not going to find out what it is so don't get your panties in a twist.  It's just "baby" till it pops out.  Then I fly back home to Hawaii, by myself, Wedneday the 17th, for my sister Breana's wedding on the 20th!  I'm so excited.  Which reminds me my sister, Nikki, and her two month old baby, Collin, are the only ones coming from her family and she needs a baby sitter for Friday the 19th while Bre goes to the Temple for her first time.  We were wondering if there was anyone in the Hau'ula-Laie district that would be willing and able to baby sit for that period of time.  He's a REALLY good baby and takes a bottle easy peasy so let me know if you'd be up to it.  Sorry, had to add that in but you know how it goes!  

It was fun reading all my face book messages, emails and cards I got from everyone, and the voice mails- sorry I haven't called anybody back!  But thanks for your thoughts!  It was a good day and I'm so grateful to have such wonderful friends and family!

19 comments:

Laura said...

Happy b-day again! isn't it funny how as you get older you have to do the things that you want for your birthday yourself like making your own pancakes how you ant them, I made my own b-day cake this year and had to force Michael to make me a smoothie for breakfast! Anyway sometimes I feel the same way you did about not finishing college and not going on a mission and it's always awkward to tell people that I got married at 18 but then I think if I didn't I wouldn't have my wonderful family and I don't want my life to be different. I'm glad your birthday was a good one although going to the dentist doesn't sound like fun especially if they found cavities! congrats on baby IT and have fun at the ultrasound-no peeking- sometimes it's obvious what it is so try no to look too close! I miss you guys -Laura

Patrick and Crystal said...

Happy Birthday Noelle! Your post made my cry, which is not hard these days, but I totally feel the same way sometimes! Even though I graduated from college, I still feel like I'm not working, and think about what else I could be doing. But then I look at my sweet little girl or feel this baby kicking and remember that this is what I'm here for! Hope you had a happy day and thanks for reminding me again!

Unknown said...

happy belated birthday!! I didn't even know you had a birthday! Am I your friend of facebook? Glad you had a good birthday! I don't know what I'm doing on that day but then again I have work...what time is the session? if you can't find anyone, let me know.

SKADOOSH!

Cari said...

happy belated birthday noelle! glad you had a nice day :) you're such a cute mom to those sweet kids of yours, and we're so excited for you for the third on the way!! :)

stef j. said...

happy birthday! isn't that crazy - being 25. i was there once ...

and i know what you mean about the two kids, one on the way thing (not that i'm pregnant - this is not an announcement). sometimes i think where i would be without kids and it would earn me praise from the world, but none of it would mean anything in the end. and they're SO SO WORTH IT!!!

and i'll babysit.

Unknown said...

i'm glad you had such a good birthday!! I also find myself thinking those same things...but really my goal in life was to be a mommy so really I am living my dream...would i have liked to travel or become super rich beforehand...maybe it would have been nice but if that would have put off me being able to see zekey smile even one day...i say it's not worth it ;)

Hillaryous said...

SORRY! I am babysitting for you! Sounds great! But there's one condition... email me the details and I'll relay MY details for you ;) hee hee hee

xoxox

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY! I didn't realize your bday was in December too! I feel horrible! I hate it when I forget bdays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry!

I think you've got a FABULOUS life goin! Wouldn't change a thing! I miss you over here, though, so maybe I'd bring you back to HI! But it looks like you're having fun! xoxox

Erin said...

happy happy birthday. funny how i totally thought the same things at my 25th birthday about what the heck I was doing with life. But just think: you are a wonderful mother, a fabulous friend, a gorgeous wife...you have a ton going for you and have done great things so far...just look how adorable and sweet and funny your kids are! the joys of birthdays as we get older!

Tyson and Shelise said...

Happy birthday! You guys are such great parents, so fun! We will be down there for Christmas so hopefully we will see you guys alot!

Carrie said...

Happy Birthday again Noelle! I'm so happy you had a great and inspired one! I loved reading all about it! If you only knew just how admired you truly are! Miss you, and have soooo much fun visiting Hawaii again...way jealous!!! :)

Stewart Family said...

Happy Birthday!! Sounds like it was a good day. 25 very exciting.

The Songer said...

Noelle... You are one of the most thought provoking people I know... Everytime i read your blog, I feel so happy to have known you while you were her and wish I had gotten to know you better! Just know that anything that what ever you plan to do in your life.. you will be very successful at it.. Look at your kids.. the're proof! Hug drew for us... she would have loved all the water in front of V building today!

Have a safe and enjoyable trip!

Melissa said...

happy birthday!!
you're still young, but I kinda feel old. especially when I look at my pictures and have crows feet. I'm only 25! I shouldn't have that yet!

there are so many birthdays this time of year it seems.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

We missed you at the parade today! we are glad that you had a good birthday! Call us when you guys get bored k. We would love to hang out.... Have a good trip!

Naihe Family said...

Happy Birthday Noelle!!! I love your story! Drew is so cute!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday Noelle! It's no nice to catch up with you guys on here. We miss seeing your beautiful family here on BYUH Campus. I hope your pregnancy is coming along smoothly! Take care and talk to ya soon!
Aloha,
Crystal

Victoria, like the Queen said...

I love reading your blog! your kids sound so sweet and it sounds like you are really raising them with the right frame of mind! we need to get together soon so I can meet all your little ones!

Stewart Family said...

How was the wedding? I heard it was so nice :o)

 
design by suckmylolly.com